Updating 1988 242G

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I use Epifanes varnish on teak. It’s time intensive but comes out quite nice. All in the prep work (power wash, spot sanding, acetone wipe down) then up to 8-12 coats using less thinner with each coat. Teak oil cleans up nice, it’s easier to use but doesn’t last as long and doesn’t have the same shine as varnish.

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Haven’t tackled the wood project just yet. I tend to over research and over think every project I get into so still trying to figure out the best way to wrangle that pig.
I did replace both nav lights and for whatever reason I had no anchor light or even a trace of where the original one was located so I added one at the top of my radar arch. Had to get it done before 4th of July where I’m taking the family out for fireworks. Also added under gunwale led’s as a surprise for the wife and kids who like that kind of stuff. I’m excited to see their reaction when the sun goes down on the 4th.

Reactions: Peter A

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
When it comes to the wood trim, a power wash generally helps to prep the surface, then minor sanding, then ideally a tack cloth to remove dust, acetone wipe down and then you are good to apply varnish (or oil). Use throw away gloves all the time ideally to prevent skin oils from fouling things up

Reactions: Captglasshole

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Took my kids and my nieces out to dinner tonite in ocean city. They had a blast swimming in the river and my nieces thought it was the coolest thing to be able to go to a restaurant by boat. Wasn’t quite dark yet but snapped a couple pics of the led’s when they all went inside to test them out. Gonna be cool when it’s darkIMG_4275.jpegIMG_4276.jpegIMG_4278.jpegIMG_4277.jpeg

Reactions: PointedRose

Rph1225

Reaction score
Model
Escape
For all wood, I really like to do the teak oil treatment. You can get the kit with the wood conditioner and oil. That should last at least a season, but it is always fun to grab a 6 pack and do the teak.